Friday, November 13, 2009

Dinner for one.




Every year we have an Exhibition of all the Beautiful work that we have done during the year and this year I couldn’t wait to see how it would turn out because I have not been around so as to see all the students working and some of the pieces that would be on show. I would be seeing for the first time. This year the lectures said they will not be hands on with the way we displayed our jewellery and that did not sound like music to my ears. I had a plan of building a little hut and inside it, would be my jewellery, the quarter heard this and was not pleased for one bit. I was given an idea. I was asked how would I give something to someone or how would I give food to the male figer of the house and as a black person, you would give anything to the man of the house on your knees as a sign of respect and showing them that you are beneath him. The jewellery that I make is more different, one could say contemporary. I had to think of a modern way to present my jewellery hence the table or the dinner for one, where my beaded jewellery is to be served. At first everything looked plain and I had to paint the wall so as to claim my spot or area. It looks gr8 now, don’t you think?


No comments: